Dia de los Muertos

November 5, 2020

Día de Muertos Immersive Experience – San Miguel de Allende – Hayo Magazine
Día de Muertos – San Miguel de Allende – Hayo Magazine

Dia de los Muertos is a widely celebrated tradition in which the Hispanic culture celebrates their dead loved ones. These celebrations start to take place  November 1-2, the first day is celebrating All Saints Day and the second would be All Souls Day. The ritual goes way back to the Aztec (or Mexica) times, when they celebrate their deceased every once or twice every year. This holiday is in no way a Mexican Halloween, despite popular belief. People do dress out for this holiday, highly known for the costume,  such as the catrina and a bunch of skeletons. During this brief period, the souls of the dead awaken and return to the living world to feast, drink, dance and play music with their loved ones. People also visit their loved ones’ graves and offer them ofrendas (offerings) honoring their deceased loved ones, they decorate the graves with bright yellow flowers and they bring favorite foods and drinks of the deceased.Sabes cómo hacer un altar para el Día de Muertos?

My family and I partake in the tradition, but we aren’t so festive since the area we’re in isn’t really populated with Hispanics. My mom sets out candles in front of the pictures of our deceased loved ones and just gives a prayer. 

About the Writer
Photo of David Suchil
David Suchil, Journalist

David Suchil is a senior set to graduate in March 2021, currently the only Hispanic student in Central Academy. David is bilingual, mastering Spanish and...